Great Rates, No Banks. Borrow. Lend. Prosper.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Internet Fraud: How to Avoid Internet Investment Scams

Be Alert for Telltale Signs of Online Investment Fraud

  • Be wary of promises of quick profits, offers to share "inside" information, and pressure to invest before you have an opportunity to investigate.
  • Be careful of promoters who use "aliases." Pseudonyms are common on-line, and some salespeople will to try to hide their true identity. Look for other promotions by the same person.
  • Words like "guarantee," "high return," "limited offer," or "as safe as a C.D." may be a red flag. No financial investment is "risk free" and a high rate of return means greater risk.
  • Watch out for offshore scams and investment opportunities in other countries. When you send your money abroad, and something goes wrong, it's more difficult to find out what happened and to locate your money.
  • If a company is not registered or has not filed a "Form D" with the SEC, visit the website of the North American Securities Administrators Association to find your state securities regulator.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

Taken from http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/cyberfraud/signs.htm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your comment about get rich quick scams and also that MOST online opportunities are scams, however...

I have owned my own business for over 6 months now. I found it on the internet but it is a real business that I promote online and offline. I object to the fact that 98% are scams. I think that any legitimate business can be made to look like and be scam depending on the person running the business. If you treat it like a real business, you will make real money! I am living proof of that. I am not a millionaire but I am financial stable and successful in home business.

Annette Goslin
www.mcagoslin.ws